Medical Billing and Coding Certificate
- Degree Programs
- Health Sciences
- Medical Billing Coding Certificate
Ready to learn more about the
Ready to Take the Next Step?
Connect with an Advisor to explore program requirements, curriculum, transfer credits process, and financial aid options.
Earn Your Certificate as Early as:
- Find Information...
- Admission Requirements
- Ways to Save on Tuition
- Career Outcomes
Cost per Credit
Medical Billing and Coding Certificate Overview
It’s time to move your health care career forward. Become a medical billing and coding professional ready to play a key role in today’s technology-driven health care system.
- Gain in-demand skills through online coursework in anatomy, physiology, and pharmacology; data information processing; medical billing, coding, and terminology; insurance billing; and medical office management.
- Get hands-on experience and build a valuable professional network through a 40-hour practicum in a health care facility.
- Build industry credentials as you go — prepare to sit for a virtually proctored certification exam during your final term, as well as additional certification exams.
See Program Detail Plan and Policies
See Notes and Conditions below for important information.
Program Approved by the AHIMA Professional Certificate Approval Program (PCAP)
This designation acknowledges the coding program as having been evaluated by a peer-review process against a national minimum set of standards for entry-level coding professionals. This process allows academic institutions to be acknowledged as offering an AHIMA-approved coding certificate program.
You must be a high school graduate or possess a General Educational Development (GED) certificate or other equivalency diploma. You are also encouraged to complete orientation before you start classes. Refer to the University Catalog or speak to an Advisor to learn more.
View Admissions Requirements
What Courses Will I Take?
Coursework in the Medical Billing and and Coding Certificate program helps build the basic skills and knowledge to submit medical claims for reimbursement, process bills, operate computerized billing systems, and gain a working knowledge of various insurance plans.
- Reimbursement Methodologies
- Medical Terminology
- Diseases of the Human Body
- Medical Insurance and Billing
See All Medical Billing and Coding Courses
Upcoming Start Dates
We offer multiple start dates to give you flexibility in your education, life, and work schedules.
Prepare for Medical Billing and Coding Certification
During your final term, you will complete one of these virtually proctored exams to provide you with a professional credential at the time of graduation.
- Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS)
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA)
- Certified Coding Specialist–Physician-Based (CCS-P®)
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS®)
- Medical Coder and Biller Certification (MCBC)
- Insurance and Coding Specialist (NCICS)
You may be eligible for additional exams once you attain professional experience. See Notes and Conditions below for important information.
Ways to Save on Time and Tuition
Purdue Global works with students to find ways to reduce costs and make education more accessible. Contact us to learn about opportunities to save on your educational costs.
Earn credit for prior coursework completed at eligible institutions, including community colleges.
Prior Work Experience Reduction
You could earn undergraduate credit for your life and professional career experiences.
Learn about federal financial aid programs available for many of our degree programs.
Grants and Loans
Learn about federal and state grants and loan programs that may be available.
Corporate Partner Benefits
Employees of Purdue Global partner organizations may be eligible for special tuition reductions.
Military Tuition Reduction
Undergraduate tuition savings for military include a 55% reduction per credit for current servicemembers and 38% per credit for veterans.
Prior Military Experience
Earn credit for your military training. The average Purdue Global military student is awarded 54% of the credits needed for an associate's and 45% of the credits needed for a bachelor's.
International Tuition Reduction
International students living outside of the United States are eligible for a 25% international student tuition reduction.
View the total cost of attendance for your program.
Calculate Your Time and Cost
Estimate how much your prior learning credits can reduce your tuition and time to graduation.
Due in part to an aging population and an increase in insurance claims, employment of health information technicians in the U.S., a category that includes medical coders, is expected to grow through 2031.
This certificate program can help you pursue entry-level employment with a variety of employers in the health care industry such as doctor's offices, clinics, and hospitals; home health agencies and nursing homes; insurance and medical billing companies; and medical group practices.
In Your State
General labor market and salary data are provided by Lightcast and may not represent the outcomes experienced by Purdue Global graduates in these programs. Purdue Global graduates in these programs may earn salaries substantially different or less than the amounts listed above. Salary and employment outcomes vary by geographic area, previous work experience, education, and opportunities for employment that are outside of Purdue Global's control.
Lightcast average salary ranges can be explored further using Lightcast’s SkillsMatch tool. Purdue Global does not guarantee employment placement, salary level, or career advancement.
See Notes and Conditions below for important information.
Take 3 Weeks to Get to KnowUs
Not sure if Purdue Global is right for you? Experience a Purdue Global undergraduate program for an introductory 3-week period with no financial obligation.
That’s the Purdue Global Commitment.
Download our brochure to learn more about our Medical Billing and Coding Certificate program and the benefits of earning your degree at Purdue Global.
Our Students Succeed
Purdue Global is dedicated to preparing students like you for the careers of tomorrow.
This program prepares students with the knowledge, technical skills, and work habits to pursue entry-level positions in the health care field.
Regina L. Kraus
MSA, RHIT, CPHQ, Adjunct Faculty
See Notes and Conditions below for important information.
Choosing a Certificate in Medical Billing and Coding
Become a key player in a technology-driven health care system. Learn the skills you need to collect and analyze patient records.
Is a Career as a Medical Billing and Coding Specialist Right for Me?
This detail-oriented specialization leads to a variety of in-demand career options. Learn the skills you need to maintain medical records.
4 Health Care Careers You Can Launch in 2 Years or Less
Accelerate your future in the health care field. Discover career launch pads that could fast track you to success down the line.
Get to Know Our Faculty
Purdue Global faculty members are real-world practitioners who bring knowledge gained through the powerful combination of higher learning and industry experience.
View Health Sciences Faculty Directory
Faculty members who have advanced degrees
Faculty members who hold a doctorate
Faculty publications in 2021–2022
More Than 38,000
Professional development hours logged by faculty in 2021–2022
Statistics include all Purdue Global faculty members and are not school- or program-specific calculations. Source: Purdue Global Office of Reporting and Analysis, July 2022. 2021–2022academicyear.
Your Path to Success Begins Here
Connect with an Advisor to explore program requirements, curriculum, credit for prior learning process, and financial aid options.
Connect with an AdvisorApply Online Today
NOTES AND CONDITIONS
*Estimated Graduation Date and Average Completion: Estimated graduation date is based on the assumption that you will enroll in time to begin classes on the next upcoming start date, will remain enrolled for each consecutive term, and will maintain satisfactory academic standing in each term to progress toward completion of your program. Completion time is based on a full-time schedule. Programs will take longer for part-time students to complete.
Certification Exams: Students are responsible for understanding the requirements of optional certification exams. The University cannot guarantee students will be eligible to sit for or pass exams. In some cases, work experience, additional coursework beyond the Purdue Global program, fieldwork, and/or background checks may be necessary to be eligible to take or to successfully pass the exams.
Job Growth: Source: U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Medical Records and Health Information Technicians, www.bls.gov/ooh/Healthcare/Medical-records-and-health-information-technicians.htm. National long-term projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions, and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Testimonial: Testimonials obtained by Purdue Global. The views and opinions expressed are those of the individual; student experiences may vary.
As an expert in the field of medical billing and coding, I have a deep understanding of the concepts and requirements involved in pursuing a Medical Billing and Coding Certificate. My expertise is grounded in practical knowledge and experience within the healthcare industry. Now, let's delve into the key concepts mentioned in the article:
- The program aims to prepare individuals for a career in medical billing and coding within the technology-driven healthcare system.
- In-demand skills are gained through online coursework covering anatomy, physiology, pharmacology, data information processing, medical billing, coding, terminology, insurance billing, and medical office management.
- A 40-hour practicum in a healthcare facility provides hands-on experience and facilitates building a professional network.
Certification and Accreditation:
- The program is approved by the AHIMA Professional Certificate Approval Program (PCAP), meeting national standards for entry-level coding professionals.
- Purdue Global is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Applicants need to be high school graduates or possess a General Educational Development (GED) certificate.
- Completion of an orientation is encouraged before starting classes.
- Courses cover essential skills such as reimbursement methodologies, medical terminology, pharmacology, diseases of the human body, and medical insurance and billing.
- Students can sit for certification exams during their final term, including options like Certified Billing and Coding Specialist (CBCS), Certified Coding Associate (CCA), and others.
Credit Transfer and Financial Aid:
- Opportunities to save on educational costs include credit transfer for prior coursework, reduction based on prior work experience, federal financial aid programs, and special tuition reductions for military personnel.
- The program prepares individuals for entry-level employment in various healthcare settings, including doctor's offices, clinics, hospitals, insurance and medical billing companies, and medical group practices.
- Employment growth is expected due to an aging population and increased insurance claims.
Faculty and Success Rates:
- Purdue Global faculty members are real-world practitioners with advanced degrees and substantial professional development hours.
- The program boasts a high success rate, with dedicated faculty preparing students for careers in health information technology.
Program Duration and Flexibility:
- The estimated completion time is 11 months, assuming full-time enrollment.
- Multiple start dates offer flexibility for individuals balancing education, work, and life.
Testimonials and Additional Information:
- Testimonials highlight positive student experiences.
- The article includes important notes and conditions regarding graduation estimates, certification exams, and job growth statistics.
Feel free to ask if you have specific questions or if there's a particular aspect you'd like more information on.